Changing Conflict – A Community Workshop
This community programme has been piloted starting with second level schools in Galway and can be easily adapted for other community groups and organisations. The pilot programme was a school based initiative, where our CRC Mediators and Facilitators provided an introduction to conflict management and the skills required to deal with conflict. Participating students gained the skills and knowledge required to understand and manage conflict within a structured educational environment.
The programme was piloted with 3 second level schools within Galway City with the assistance and approval of the school’s relevant boards of management and in partnership with the NUI Galway EXPLORE programme.
Our aim is to provide the programme to 10 schools and to other community groups annually in the near future – funding dependent.
Changing Conflict – Programme Overview
Aim: To provide conflict resolution training to young people and other community groups
The programme can assist people with:
- Understand similarities and differences (exclusion and inclusion)
- Understand that perceptions vary and how to avoid bias
- Understand the nature of communication and the requirement to communicate effectively to resolve conflict.
- Realise that conflict is present and the need to deal effectively with conflict to ensure that all persons and interests are respected
- Learn that there is a requirement to engage in mechanisms and methods to resolve conflict
- Learn to undertake practice negotiation and a trial mediation
- Gain skills and training in active listening, better communication (two-way), cooperation with others as part of a team, appropriate assertiveness in resolving conflict etc.