Job Description: Gambling & Gaming Addiction Counsellor
Helplink Mental Health has partnered with the HSE National Social Inclusion Office (NSIO) to pilot a treatment programme for adults and adolescents (16+) experiencing difficulties with Gambling and Gaming over an initial 12-month period in HSE area CHO2 (Galway, Mayo and Roscommon). Therefore, we are recruiting 2 part-time Gambling & Gaming Addiction Counsellors.
A part-time employed Gambling and Gaming Addiction counsellor position, providing gambling and gaming addiction counselling services to young people (over 16) and adults.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide in person and online addiction counselling services to assigned clients.
- Follow Helplink’s protocols and policies.
- Ensure complete client confidentiality is followed at all times, in line with Helplink policies.
- Maintaining the highest standards of professionalism.
- Screening/Assessment of new Gambling and Gaming addiction clients.
- Provide support and advice to Administrative team with client issues when required.
- Maintain clear, clinical and confidential client records.
- Provide short-term clinical interventions such as CBT, motivational interviewing, brief solution-focused techniques and other interventions as required.
- Facilitate Aftercare Groups.
- Participate and provide feedback in the ongoing evaluation of the HSE-Helplink Gambling Addiction Pilot Programme.
- Demonstrate excellent listening, communication, decision-making and assessment skills.
- Demonstrate great warmth and the ability to empathise.
- Ability to work with clients from a range of backgrounds and with a variety of mental health symptoms.
- Develop clear and concise treatment plans for clients
- Always keep up to date with best practice and procedures in line with the Code of Ethics of the accreditation body of which you are a member.
- Participate in policy and procedure review and development to ensure high quality service delivery to Helplink clients.
- Attend staff meetings as required
- Minimum Level 8 Degree in Counselling, Psychotherapy, or related subject – ideally Addiction Counselling.
- Accreditation with Addiction Counsellors of Ireland (ACI).
- At least 2 years client work experience in an addiction service or similar setting.
- Clear understanding of the complex nature of gambling/gaming addiction, encompassing its antecedents, manifestations and social implications.
- Knowledge and experience in a wide range of contemporary gambling-centric evidence-based intervention strategies and treatment approaches.
- Working knowledge of Biopsychosocial model of addiction treatment and the 12-step programme.
- Proven Experience/Training in best-practice, evidence-based therapeutic approaches for Gambling and Gaming Addiction including: CBT, Motivational Interviewing, Reality Therapy and other solution focussed brief therapies
- Experience facilitating Aftercare groups.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing CPD Training, particularly in the area of Gambling Addiction.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance.
- Must be regularly attending supervision.
- IT Proficiency.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Patience and a calm manner.
- Ability to relate to a wide range of people.
- Flexibility in working time availability – as our organisation’s mission is to provide accessible services 7 days a week and out-of-hours. The successful applicant will be required to be available at least one evening per week.
- Has completed or is currently engaged in Post Graduate specialist Gambling Training, e.g Certificate in Gambling Addiction at MTU (previously IT Tralee).
- Training/Experience in Mental Health Screening/Assessment procedures.
- Free monthly group supervision
- 2 free CPD events per year
- EAP counselling service
HOURS: Part-time Employed: 25 hours (including up to 20 client contact hours)
SALARY: €32,500 gross annual salary
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12-month Fixed Term Contract
LOCATION: Main working location where possible is Galway City (and/or our Mayo office). Depending on client need, sessions may also be provided in person in Castlebar and Roscommon
REMOTE WORKING: only when providing online counselling
TO APPLY FOR THIS ROLE:
Please submit your application form at the link below:
Applications will only be accepted via the form above.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview.
For queries about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org